Step Van Project Interior Layout Information
Welcome to my blog website and thank you in advance for your interest in helping me design the interior layout of my step van. I hope this is a fun and interesting experience for you; if this is at all stressful, please engage in something that brings you more satisfaction as I have no wish to cause you grief or stress in your life.
Not a Contest: Please remember this is not a contest; it is simply an easy way for those who wish to engage in the creative process of designing an interior layout for my step van. I welcome the input and ideas you come up with.
Keep it Simple: Sketches are perfect and you don’t need dimensions marked on anything. I’m only looking for layout ideas at this point. Exact measurements can come later once a layout is chosen.
The wood stove is called the Cub. Here is a link to the specs: https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/products/cb-1008-br-cubic-mini-wood-stove
Here are the basics:
- Number one most important thing to remember: have fun… keep it simple and easy.
- I’m building in a 18 foot box (216 in x 83.5 in)
- Wheel wells are 44 in x 22 in x 8.5 in tall (and located 57 in from the back)
- I’m not adding extra windows
- Rear doors are 58 in wide (centered)
- I’d like guests to be able to walk through front to back
- The door to the drivers area will be about 1/3 width (don’t have details on that yet)
- Ceiling is about 6 foot 9 in
- I’m planning on a full kitchen, but running off solar (no generator). I’ll use wood stove in winter when it is active and propane for summer.
- I will have a wood stove called “The Cub” (might be best next to the kitchen area for wood stove cooking on when in use)
- No dedicated bathroom (most likely I’ll have an emergency potty stashed somewhere)
- Plan room for a fresh and gray water tanks (but not black)
- Most likely I’ll have an exterior mount a bank of batteries under the frame and controls, inverter, etc inside
- Height of furniture should not extend above about 40 inches (unless you have some super awesome idea you think I must consider)
- If you feel your design is absolutely amazing, and that some of the guidelines I’ve provided are not realistic, then break the rules and submit your mind-blowing design and rock my world!
Here is a handy template you can use if it is helpful. Of course, I appreciate the hand-made aspect of drawings on napkins, but feel free to use whatever works for you!
SUBMIT DEADLINE IS CLOSED: (May 7, 2017)
Here is a layout diagram of the van interior; if it helps, please use it, but I love napkin drawings! Remember, keep it simple and have fun!